Sunday 10 April 2011

Top Tips?

I took on a project suggested by my aunt, who I am currently staying with in Loughborough.
The project is that you blog about something different each day, so I have decided to follow suit.
Today's topic was tips. So. What am I interested in?
Collecting of cans from around the world.
Stamps of the queen.
Annoying my younger brother...


No. Something that others might be interested in too. So here are my top tips on amateur photography (especially in the summer).


Tip Number One.


Take your camera everywhere. End of story.
It doesn't matter what camera you have, but it shows that you have passion. It will be the days that you don't have it with you that something different will happen. For example. I usually live around the Dover area, and the one day that I decided not to take my camera out when I went to visit a couple of friends, the sea was smoking. It would have been the most magical moment to capture and remember forever. On the flip side, I will remember forever that every time I think about how stupid I have been, I think about that moment. So take your camera with you. It's so worth it. My friend took his photo of me, while we were walking home together, and it is probably one of my favourite photos of myself. And it's here because she had her camera. That's it.





Tip Number Two.


Take off those sunglasses.
Simple tip, but really important. Last week was beautifully sunny, so I decided to go outside and take photos of the garden, which I did. Unfortunately I didn't take my sunglasses off and adjusted my exposure settings so that what I was seeing looked good. Maybe that was just me being ignorant, but every photos from that shoot turned out hideously underexposed. So take them off.


Tip Number Three


Unless you have a good filter, don't point the camera directly into the sunlight.
Usually this goes without saying, but in summer you have to be careful where you position the camera in order to get a shot that is not overexposed from too much sunlight, or underexposed and overexposed at the same time. You can easily overexpose a photo in the summer, simply by having your subject in direct bright sunlight.  You can also underexpose the photo by having the sunlight directly behind them, which of course will let a lot of light through the filter, but will underexpose the subject's side that safes towards you, especially when using models. Here's an example of an overexposed and underexposed photo, that actually works reasonably well.





Anyway, so those are my top 3 simple-pimple-easy-peasy-should-be-general-knowledge tips for today.


Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment